Friday, July 21, 2006

Constructive Criticism

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm open to criticisms

I believe that it's part and parcel of anything you do. Sure, you can't please everybody but you simply cannot stop them from criticizing you either.

As humans, we tend to react by impulse. However, reactions may vary depending on one's nature. Others simply ignore the criticism by flaunting their "for-all-I-care" attitude. Others accept the criticisms and take it on a positive note. They either make the necessary steps to correct it or they come up with solutions to prove that their critics are wrong. Worst case scenario would be engaging one's self to a fiery debate, blatantly defending himself from the verbal assaults of his critic/s.

Last Thursday evening, July 20, just before my choir rehearsals, I was confronted by one of our parish's highly respected laity leader. Here's an excerpt from our discussion:

Her : Ayan, nandito ka! Uy, sabihan mo naman na gandahan yung pagkanta ng mga umaawit sa misa.
Me : Sino pong kumakanta?
Her : Yung kumakanta sa misa.
Me : Saang mass po specifically?
Her : Yung alas sais ng gabi pag linggo.
Me : Teka po, kami yun ah!
Her : Oo nga, gandahan nyo naman yung pagkanta nyo.
(starts to walk away)
Me : Kailan po yung pangit naming kanta? Kailan pong specific na linggo? (beginning to sound defensive)
Her : Basta linggo, alas sais ng gabi.
(walking towards the brown gate of the parish)
Me : Ganun?! Ok ah! Parang wala kaming kinantang tama. Ang sama naman nun!
(in a sarcastic tone)
Her : Basta linggo yun. Yun na yun. Uy, constructive criticism yun ha?
(now outside the gate)

Yeah, right. Constructive criticism.

In as much as I don't want get affected, I just found her words reverberating in my ears. What I couldn't understand was the fact that how could somebody regarded as an excellent leader and a good motivator be so careless in expressing her opinion. It could have been done in a proper venue. We could have discussed it privately, leader to leader. But definitely not in the presence of some of the members of the youth choir who were with me during that time.

I just thought of what they felt at that particular moment.

Sigh.

1 comments:

carol said...

it was a big slap in the face. rather, in the heart. i know we're not supposed to get affected by some comment given by someone who is not important (for me anyway) but what she said, the way she said it, doesn't sound like a criticism to me. it was more like an insult.

you handled it pretty well, nang. i bet God knows exactly what to do to her. =)