Today is my dad’s 60th birthday. I really wanted to have a surprise party for him…complete with catering services, souvenirs, band, etc…but, my mom blew it! He told my dad a few weeks before his birthday. I couldn’t blame my mom for that ‘coz he knew my father. He wasn’t the type of person who would throw a lavish party just because he turned 60. He’d rather spend time with the family, do more important yet inexpensive stuff with the people he love…and I admire him for that.
My dad is much like a typical father but with a little ‘extra’. He isn’t the showy type but you will get to feel the sincerity of his love and care in simple ways one could ever imagine. He takes delight in waking me up in the morning and buying me merienda or balut. He may seem very strict but never did he lay a hand on me when I was a child. He was never patient but when it comes to my welfare, he seems to have all the time in the world. He never grows tired of waking up in the middle of the night just to open the door for me after a late night out. I really don’t mind having the key to our house. It brings me great joy to know and feel how happy my dad is when I get to arrive home in one piece…after all, I’m still his baby.
Like every normal father-and-daughter relationship, ours had its share of misunderstandings. Owe it to the fact that we are very much alike in many ways; our ideas, principles, and beliefs sometimes clash, and like the two similar poles of a magnet, we repel…but I love him just the same.
In general, having him as a father is really something I can truly be proud of.
He is my mentor, protector, counselor, number one critic, and number two fan (next to my mom!)
He sure has flaws…but who cares…nobody’s perfect anyway. For me, his imperfections and his good attributes made him the best father that he is to me…and I will be forever grateful for that.
Happy Birthday, Papa...i love you!
0 comments:
Post a Comment